Friday, August 23, 2013

Episode 04: On why being cocky is a sin

After nine consecutive days of climbing and thanks to a pessimistic weather cast for Sunday, I decided to take 2 days off. I spent all Sunday going from my bed to the desk chair and then back again every few minutes. I think I got three siestas. I spent all day doing absolutely nothing.
Monday morning, my body was itching for some exercise so I took my bike to Bois de Boulogne - just a few minutes from my place - and did the Parcours sportif, a 3-km fun exercise circuit containing 25 exercises most of which include "instruments" made of wood. For the rest of the session I wandered about in the park, mostly around the lakes. As soon as I got home, I felt my right index complain again. It has been more than a month that it is bothering me, since the day I did half a pull-up using my right index and middle fingers on a slab at Cuvier.
Two days of rest and no healing. It still hurt so I decided to take two weeks off. I will spend this time swimming and biking to burn as many calories as possible. And I will keep working on my youtube project.
Tough luck but this is what happens when you make bad choices. I've always been careful with my fingers but my pride and ego got the best of me. After realising I can do pull-ups with two fingers on each hand, I have been cocky and this time, I paid for my sin.
The good news of the week: after pondering on different 8A problems and various factors (do I need more than one crash pad or/and a spotter? Is it expo? Is the Font' sector reachable by bike or on foot?), I think I have picked my first 8A project: Pied de Nez (Le Grand Nez en aller-retour). It is on the same boulder as Narine droite which I sent last week. It is a traverse, only one meter from the ground (which is covered with sand) therefore I can work on it as often as I need and want to. And I can go there by bike. And I can sleep under it!
Till next time (in a couple of weeks)...

0 comments:

Post a Comment